Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Parking Lot

While attempting to fix some of the saw mill "problems" I came across an idea to build parking lots from spackle.  There are products out there to actually "create" parking lots and roads from material that dries into a hard plaster like surface, I can't afford to buy the multiple containers of it to meet the needs of all my roads and parking lots.  So I decided to see what the spackle would do.

On the sawmill scene I used the spackle to act as a surface from the saw exit down to the drying shed and then up and around where loading would take place.  Frankly given the state of my landscape I just coulnd't seem them moving a forklife over the ground.  Thus my "concrete."

So in the picture here we see the material placed outside the exit from the saw area.  This is where the lumber would be moved to stack it in preparation for the forklift to move it down to the drying shed.  I scored in some lines and added some fine "earth" to try to have it look like there are weeds growing in it.  Once it dries completely and I take a fine sandpaper to it and get some concreate color to it, hopefully it will look like that.


This is a picture of the full concreate application.  Around the saw mill itself to the door of the drying shed and up to the car loading area.  Have to see how this turns out.




In the meantime I also tried to create a much larger parking lot.  This time I took an entire block where the gas station and 7-11 will be sitting and did a similar treatment.  This time I laid out some popsicle sticks to provide a uniform depth and simulate a curb.  I placed the buildings in the goop to get a placement and then removed them.  Removing the spackle where the buildings will sit allows me to run wires and place lights into the buildings.  Once I had an idea of where the buildings would go (and the driveways) I put in some styrne sheet sidewalk.  However, as I was drafting this I realized I didn't leave enough space for the frontage of the 7-11 to have two entrances :(  Oh well.  I will get it fixed.


And this gives an idea of the finished product, or the promise of a finished product.  I'm pretty sure it won't be pink.





No comments:

Post a Comment