Friday, December 9, 2011

Introduction

I have been an off/on modeler since I was a kid.  There is a picture of me floating around in some box somewhere of me in my bed with what looks to be nearly a dozen model airplanes hanging from the ceiling over my bed.  Today, in fact, I have some store purchased larger airplanes haning from my office ceiling as well :)

I have always been attracted to models.  But in no way would I consider myself to be a master modeler.  It was something I enjoyed doing.  Taking a box of plastic parts and making someting recognizable out of it.

So for quite some time I have thought about model trains.  Just never had the impetus to get invovled.  Always too much else to do.  Well over the last year I had a health hit and I'm not as mobile as I used to be.  Couple that with some "extra" cash (as if anyone had any extra) and I took a plunge.  I'm still sliding :)

I used to think my motorcycle riding was an offshoot of a lifestyle choice - no matter how much on the periphery.  I'm coming to think the same of the model railroad hobby.

This blog will be a record (mainly for myself) of my "journey" into the world of model trains.  It will show the progression of my layout, the terrain and "terra forming" that goes into it, as well as any modeling needed to make some of hte structures.  From what I have seen so far, the true "modeling" is in bringing the layout to life.  We'll have to see how that goes.

Oh and the best part of this journey? I am taking it with my wife.  She is just as enthusiastic about making this (albeit probably NOT for the same reasons) as I am.  She is looking forward to building some houses and planning the more "social" aspects of the modeling side.  I think this will become her "doll house" creativity process.  Either way it is great to have a partner working with me.  Means there isn't so much argument in getting those little extras :)

No comments:

Post a Comment