Sunday, December 11, 2011

Railroad history in my backyard

Today while perusing various videos about trains I cam across a You Tube videographer who has many video's covering railfanning Northern Florida.  Throughout his videos he refers to the "A" line and the "S" line as it travels these areas.  Well I live on the "A" line.  I can literally hear the trains as they travel a couple of hundred yards outslide my backyard.  Unfortunatly the woods are so thick I can't see them.

Well I got curious and was looking for a track map of the "A" line.  Came to find out it is called this since it used to belong to the Atlantic Coastal Railroad which ran from Richmond to Tampa.  The interesting tidbit is this was the turn of the century.  I live next to a railroad trackbed that has been working for over 110 years. 

How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment